Participate in the Process
The Listing Process for the Washington State Noxious Weed List
Weed species may be added or removed, the Class (A, B, or C) can be changed, or the required control area of a Class B Designate may be changed. The Noxious Weed Committee meets several times a year to review and discuss proposed changes, and they present their recommendations at the November Board meeting so that the Board can make a well-informed decision.
Anyone in Washington state can request that a plant species be added or removed from the Noxious Weed List.
- You can download the document explaining how to participate in the listing process here.
- The request must be submitted between January 1st and April 30th for consideration. Requests can be mailed or emailed to State Noxious Weed Board.
To submit a request, you should provide the following information:
- The common and scientific name of the plant species, if known
- The specific change request (addition, removal, class or designation change)
- The reason why you are requesting the change
- Whether there have been any attempts to control the plant
- Any plant samples, pictures, and any literature about the plant are useful
- It is also helpful if you provide any background information, for example, its distribution in Washington (where, when, and how much), and any biology or ecology about the plant